Forum home Plants

Cherry Plum in a bad way

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
edited April 2022 in Plants
Up until last year growth was lush and healthy  Now the leaves are sparse on the end of twigs that are covered in birdshttt  . Some leaf damage is the sparrows but something  else is eating the leaves. I think I  saw one thrip but nothing else 
I would like to cut it down by about  two thirds so that I  perhaps the new growth  will have a chance  but I  understand  that it's  the wrong time of year 
Can anyone offer any help?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    Woodpigeon and bullfinch damage mine most. Beware - large scale pruning will probably trigger mass suckering, cherry plum are notorious for it. I would leave it to recover on its own. Do you get any fruit from it or do birds get it all?
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
    No. Not even any blossom😕
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,527
    @B3 It's not the right time of year to prune cherry plums so leave it if you must until July and August, although they are much better left unpruned as we know from bitter experience. They tend to generate numerous long thin watershoots after pruning which spoils the general shape of the tree. 
    I wouldn't worry too much about the leaf damage, your tree's too big to be able to do much about it and should just drop the damaged leaves eventually and grow new ones.
    It might be short of water if it's been dry where you are.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
    Thanks @Lizzie27 I don't think it's short of water.