Forum home Plants

Is this bindweed?

sabeehasabeeha Posts: 341
Good morning!

Could someone please ID he following photo - is it bindweed? It’s popped up everywhere in my border… it has those ball nodule things on the roots… the stems are very thin, and there are multiple stems

Thank you

• sabeehasabeeha Posts: 341
    Sorry I just searched my own posts - embarrassingly have asked this before a few years ago! Identified as lesser celandine - Apologies
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    That's lesser celandine.  Very common on road verges and woodland edges - bright yellow spring flowers with shiny petals, and, as you've discovered, little tubers which break off its roots when you try to dig it up.  I tolerate it except where it's growing over a low-growing plant - it dies down soon after flowering and disappears until the following spring.  It spreads easily by seed too, so if you don't want it, don't let it seed.  But fortunately, definitely not bindweed.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • It can be a bit of a nuisance but the flowers are pretty so it depends on where they spring up for me
    Happy Gardening
  • sabeehasabeeha Posts: 341
    @Liriodendron thank you! I felt a bit panicky, as it seemed to be everywhere
    @alexryzawlskiqBU-X4OF hasn’t flowered yet… I’ve taken a few out but will leave a few… I was too overenthusiastic 
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,136
    Ficaria verna..lesser celandine.
    Very pretty.
    Yes invasive...but dies away in summer so not a problem.
    Impossible to get rid of it.
    Has tiny  white tuber things  on the roots..leave just one behind and it will grow next year...see pic
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,014
    I find it rather beautiful, in small doses, and in the right places.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.