Forum home Plants

My poor rose!

bapw163bapw163 Posts: 36
I got some great advice here a couple of weeks back to feed my rose to stop blackspot. I've been feeding but the plant seems not to be recovering.  
On close inspection I see that it is infested with some horrible bug. Can anyone tell me what it is, how to get rid of it and any other tips that might help this year old climber which isn't looking in great health?
Any help gratefully received. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,289
    They are aphids,  normal for spring. If you've got bluetits or other small birds they'll soon be along to feed  their nestlings. I rarely ever see more than a couple of aphids on my roses :)
    If you haven't got birds then you can blast them off with a hose or spray gun, or if you're not squeamish just squash them with your fingers.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Or brush them off with a soft paint brush ...  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Don't keep feeding it. If it's only a year old, it will still be establishing its root system, so make sure you keep watering it very generously. We've not had much rain, so it probably needs watering two or three times a week.
  • WhereAreMySecateursWhereAreMySecateurs LutonPosts: 1,007
    The aphids have been really hardcore this year in my garden.You can knock them off with water or wash your rose with diluted washing up liquid. I am going to plant tagetes (African marigolds) everywhere and have moved some pots of mint to some of the rose beds, as their aroma is supposed to repel them.  I think some other herbs like rosemary have the same effect.
  • WhereAreMySecateursWhereAreMySecateurs LutonPosts: 1,007
    Or brush them off with a soft paint brush ...  :)

That's adorable.
  • bapw163bapw163 Posts: 36
    Thank you all for your helpful comments.
    Do you think the aphids are the cause of the discolouration in the leaves and the fact that a few are completely shrivelled and dead or have holes in them?
    I'm constantly wondering whether I'm over watering or uner watering. I think the plant is deffo getting enough water now though and I fed it 10 days ago and not since so I'm presuming I'm not overfeeding it. I never fed it for a year before that and I have a feeling I massively under watered it too so I just wonder whether the plant is going to take a while to recover
    There are parts of the plant that seem healthier. Is it that the pre-fed parts will continue to look like this and take a while to grow back?
    Or is this all down to the aphids?
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    I find squashing them between my fingers quite therapeutic. You're left with green fingers afterwards mind.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 848
    Are these new leaves or left over leaves from last year?
    I find the old leaves often look pretty grotty, and i trim them off over winter.
    Sunny Dundee
  • bapw163bapw163 Posts: 36
    Are these new leaves or left over leaves from last year?
    I find the old leaves often look pretty grotty, and i trim them off over winter.
    I think they are left over. I believe (although it may be wishful thinking) that the new leaves are looking healthier. So I'm hoping the damage is from when I wasn't taking enough care of the plant.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Always better to feed the soil - especially with things like roses, clematis etc. 
    If it's only that age too, excess food can produce a lot of soft growth which is what aphids love. They suck the sap, which often means disfigured foliage. It isn't terminal though   :)
    As already said, it's a young plant and is establishing the roots, just like many plants do,  so there's often a bit of imbalance when a spurt of new top growth appears, especially at this time of year. You'll probably find it'll settle and be fine next year.  :)
    Follow the advice re wiping them away, or skooshing with a jet of water, for now. Make sure it has enough water, add a mulch of compost or similar, and keep other planting/weeds away from the base to help eliminate any competition.
    If it's gone short of water in it's early months, that won't have helped, but if it's producing new growth, there isn't necessarily any long term problem.  :)
    If you can encourage blue tits through autumn/winter, they'll be very helpful next spring. You can even try it now. They're the best predator.  It can sometimes take a while to get a good balance. A little feeder hung nearby often does the trick though, as they spot the aphids while having some food there  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....