Forum home Problem solving

Magnolia Grandiflora - new leaves shrivelled and deformed

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what might be wrong with this magnolia Grandiflora.

All new leaves are opening up shrivelled and curly. 5 have opened up so far and all are the same.

I potted up into a slightly larger pot mid march using ericaceuous compost (I just had some left over and thought they preferred slightly acidic soil) would this cause the issue?

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,745
    Welcome to the forum @phillipjsr
    Some of the leaves on mine are like that and I put it down to the warm spell and then frosts or cold winds . As the year goes on it seems to sort itself out. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
    Will you show us a pic of the overall size of both the pot and the shrub please and better advice might be given? I'm sure that you know that M Grandiflora grows to a huge size.

I give mine an ericaceous feed twice a year and it's planted in ericaceous compost. It's planted in half a large barrel at the moment and due to be transplanted into the ground.
  • H4Z3H4Z3 Posts: 3
    This is the size of its current pot with some temporary bamboo support just after I repotted.

I think by the end of the summer you should be looking to put it into a bigger pot as the present one will dry out quickly during the warmer season and by then it will be a bigger shrub with a bigger root system.
    As a matter of interest, when I bought mine I asked if it would do well in a container and was told it wouldn't as the roots would be too restricted. 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,517
    It wont want to be in a pot.They need to be in the ground as that is what the plant life needs if you can.

Just to show you mine @phillipjsr
    You see the new leaf looking rather manky. I look on it as par for the course of an evergreen and weather damage. I think that's what yours is.

In the second pic you can see that it's rapidly out growing the barrel and it's almost up to the guttering so it has to be planted in the ground. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    I agree.  They become huge, so it won't be possible to keep it potted long term. 
    The pot it's in will need changing, as will the soil,  and you'll need to do that frequently, with a bigger pot each time. At some point, you'll run out of  container sizes. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes quite so Fairygirl. The barrel this one is in is about 26'' across and planters don't come much bigger than that so summat has to be done. I might even donate it to the local 'big' garden where I volunteer. They'd have to fetch it with the tractor and trailer though. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    Always difficult isn't it @Uff:/

I agree about the bit of damage on foliage. Forgot to say that. Many shrubs/trees which have come into growth early get hit by later frost. Not a problem long term though @phillipjsr   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• H4Z3H4Z3 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advise everyone. It's the first plant we bought since moving to this new house so was worried seeing all the leaves coming through this way. I will be putting it into the ground as soon as poss too.
    I think that would be very wise remembering that they grow to be a large treelike shrub so away from drains and a sheltered spot to protect from weather extremes.