Forum home Garden design

Any knowledge/advice welcome! #notgotgreenfingers

Good evening all. Any help or knowledge regarding on how best to tackle this section of my newly acquired garden is much appreciated. I think the picture shows that it’s slightly raised in the middle, I was thinking of putting sleepers around the edge where the path is then breaking down the soil to try and level it out as much as possible. Where the back fences are there are lumps of concrete from previous fence posts, I’m unable to take them out because the fence is the neighbours. So was thinking of creating some kind of border here - but again any suggestions is welcomed! The garden goes around to the side of the house so was going to have this bit grass, then create a patio round the side. Thank you in advance.

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,043

Turning them to make it easier to see

I have read your comment a few times but I am really struggling to get to grips with the bigger picture. Is it possible to take a photo from an upstairs window or to show what is to the right and to the left? Pictures 1 and 2 are essentially the same.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,023
    BenCotto is right, a view from the upstairs window will give a better overall view.

The idea of putting sleepers or say, lengths of 3x3'' of wood to contain the borders is a good one. The V shaped area would make a good raised bed because that area will be very dry due to the trees in the corner. 

Lots of ideas will come from members so I see an interesting and exciting time planning in front of you. 
  • BenCotto said:

Turning them to make it easier to see

Would you mind explaining how to do that? I have been trying to find out this evening with no luck. Thank you so much
  • Sorry for the rubbish pictures, I only found this site this evening after work so just took some quick pictures. I’ll get a picture from the upstairs window tomorrow. Thank you BenCotto, I’m not sure why they uploaded sideways.
    Copy the photos and put them on your photo roll. Click edit. Click the button that allows you to spin the photo through 360°. Turn it so it is the right way up. Next crop it very slightly. Then post it.

If you are posting your own photos all you have to do is crop them slightly and they will post the right way up.

I use an iPad. The advice might be different if you’re using a laptop,
    edited April 2022
    They posted sideways, Lucy, because of an irritating bug in the system that should have been swatted a year ago but hasn’t. Nothing to do with anything you have done.

My confusion earlier was with words like back fence. Of course it is obvious to you but we do not know what is back and what is side. Similarly, I could not be certain which direction you were talking about when you said the garden goes round to the side of the house. 

A simple sketch, roughly to scale, showing the garden, house, fences, paths, flower beds, lawn, trees and shrubs etc would be really helpful. You could then take a photo of the sketch and upload it. If you add a compass point pointing North it would be good.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,023
    The process is the same on a laptop BenCotto.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Hello Lucy  :)
    If you could also give some ideas of what you'd like to grow, shrubs or perennials that type of thing, also whether the site is sunny or shady.
    As @BenCotto says, that will help with any advice. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    If you keep the photos to around 1MB or less they load correctly.
    It's beyond irritating that this hasn't been corrected yet. Vital for this sort of query.

The aspect of the garden is important too @lucyhopperCnMYZeY5, so if you know what direction the house faces [from where you take you pix] that will help.  :)
    Certainly your likes and dislikes, and how much time you have to spend. Many plants are easier than others, so if you're working and/or have a family etc, that can affect choices.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....