Forum home Plants

Red wisteria,Is this normal?

So my lovely Wisteria sadly died two years ago but last year sent up a new shoot with red leaves next to the main trunk. This year it’s growing really fast already but as can be seen in the pictures every leaf is red , is this normal ? As before the main plant was the usual bright green colour. Thanks for any help.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    Wisteria new shoots are reddish bronze. This look normal To me.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,119
    Yes I agree with @Papi Jo
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    edited April 2022
    I beg to disagree, the new growth on my 12 yr old wisteria is the normal green colour. We have alkaline clay soil.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    I've only seen it that colour when new growth is frosted.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,119
    I wonder if it depends on which Wisteria it is? 
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,134
    ..the photos are all upside down and rather hard to fathom, but the dead Wisteria appears to be twining clockwise, which means it was a Japanese type - Wisteria floribunda..
    ..the new red growth seems to be twining anti clockwise, which makes me think it's a sucker from the rootstock, as the old plant is apparently dead.   Wisteria are normally grafted onto Chinese wisteria rootstock [Wisteria sinensis], so if it is that, then it will be twining anti clockwise.
  • Good Morning and thanks for the feedback. Sorry for upside down pics here’s some from this morn. The old dead stem does seem to go clockwise most of the time and the new shoot goes up the way I trained it as it was growing to the top of support( anti- clockwise) so it might of gone clockwise if left to it’s own devices. The higher up new shoots are turning clockwise. It does seem to growing well so hopefully it will be ok.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,134
    Actually, sorry my mistake, now it's clearer, your old Wisteria was turning anti clockwise, you can see in all the photos, as it ascends it twines to the left as it goes up.. that's Chinese Wisteria..  perhaps it has sprung back to life? 
  • Our wisteria is just opening it's leaves and they are definitely reddish brown
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    Our wisteria is just opening it's leaves and they are definitely reddish brown
    Just like I said.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).