Forum home Plants

Anyone for hostas?

Digging-itDigging-it Posts: 76
I recently found out that hostas are edible, just wondered if anyone has tried cooking them and if it was successful? Apparently the shoots are meant to taste a bit like asparagus.

• B3B3 Posts: 21,514
    Slugs and snails would certainly agree 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Digging-itDigging-it Posts: 76
    Fortunately I don’t suffer that problem too much, my soil is sandy and quite dry which puts them off but I do have some hostas persevering in a shady spot and in some pots. They’re now starting to show shoots and I’m thinking of trying a salad or cooked starter with them.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,205
    I think I prefer cabbage, each hosta leaf is special. Sorry but not for me but interesting.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,560
    Give it a go and let us know?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,655
     :'( 
    Devon.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,026
    Fascinating - being a bit sceptical about this I did a search and found this (please look away @Hostafan1 ! ) Eating hostas | A Food Forest in your Garden
    I've heard folk who have eaten them, say, never again. Not nice
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,514
    Some things are too pretty to eat. A few seconds in the mouth or months on the patio. No contest 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    there are things which are technically edible, but shouldn't be eaten Cardoons, ground elder and hostas amongst them
    Devon.
  • Digging-itDigging-it Posts: 76
    I do love hostas for decorative plants otherwise I wouldn’t grow them, just curious that they’re edible. I would also say a lot of vegetables are also very attractive eg, Russian red kale, asparagus ferns etc