Forum home Plants

Rhododendron worth saving?

Juniper4Juniper4 Posts: 79
So gutted that my Rhododendron is looking not so good.
Leaves turned red over winter and I'm not sure if it's dead or alive. 
Plus it looks like the foxgloves have invade it's home.

Would anyone know if it can be saved or is it destined for the green bin?  :(

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,165
    You could try the finger nail test - gently scrape at the bark and see if the underneath is green. If it is, your plant is still alive. I would remove the foxgloves and plant them in the garden (or another pot) in any case.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,082
    The soil looks a little low in your pot - it might be worth topping it up by removing the plant from the pot and putting another inch or two of compost at the bottom, using ericaceous compost.  Also, make sure your pot is elevated on pot legs or similar to ensure adequate draining.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,353
    I wouldn't waste my time on that . Sorry.
    A terracotta pot isn't the best if you absolutely have to keep them potted - they soak up too much moisture. Rhodos are shallow rooted, and they need lots of regular moisture as well as good drainage. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Juniper4Juniper4 Posts: 79
    @AnniD I think it’s dead 😔
  • Juniper4Juniper4 Posts: 79
    @Plantminded I think I will take your advice. @AnniD I’m going to move the foxgloves into the garden.

I’ll put the rhododendron in with some fresh compost and back into it’s pot and see if anything happens. If nothing seems to appear over the next year then it’s off to the green bin 😔
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,165
    Look on it as a planting opportunity @Juniper4 :)
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,110
    I would leave it alone, enjoy the foxgloves when they flower and discard the lot when they're over. The rhodo doesn't look alive to me. Probably not worth wasting fresh compost on.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    I agree. If it's in that condition at this time of year - ie after winter, it's likely to have been dry for a very long time and the damage has already been done.

• I just hate giving up on plants!  So I would de-pot it, give a hard prune, give it a soak, re-plant it probably in a border, give it a good talking-to last chance saloon kind of stuff, water in it with a bit of feed and cross everything! 🤞 🌺 
    If the OP doesn't have suitable soil though, it's pointless planting it in the ground  :)
    Feeding sick, struggling plants is always a mistake too.