Forum home Problem solving

Bees in compost bin

Hello everyone, 
So I have a compost bin which has been going great for a year now but I decided to move it to make room for a small pond. That was the plan anyway! I got half way through emptying it out , half dismantled it in the process because it was stuck (it's a plastic square one) and then started to hear buzzing. ALOT of buzzing. 
I cannot put it back together because it's half on it's side, theres half composted waste everywhere and mounted up around it and there bees swooping at me. 
I've covered them up as best I can, the compost bin is kind of piled up around the remaining compost (and bees) but it's right next to my kids trampoline, who are deathly afraid of bees to the point that I don't plant anything that flowers anywhere near the trampoline because she won't go near it. 
The trampoline is dug and concreted in so that also cannot be moved. 
Are the bees likely to calm down  again and carry on nesting happily ( and not attacking my daughter!)?
My plan is to stop using that bin completely  get a new one and then in winter when the bees have gone remove that bin completely. 
I just want to know if the bees will be safe over there once they've got over the shock of me poking them with a fork and screeching...
Sorry for the essay, bee stress here! I've only just convinced her to come outside to play and that bees won't hurt her and then I go and poke a bees nest! 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,557
    I think the bees will calm down once they realise the "attack" has stopped. 
    A local beekeeper may be able to help by removing the nest. Have a look for local beekeepers on Google or social media and ask them for advice. 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,829
    These would not be honey bees which do sting.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    It also suggests your compost bin/area is dry. They won't tend to nest in wet places, so if you redo a compost bin, make sure it's kept damper.  :)
    You'll probably find they'll either die off, or go elsewhere now that they've been disturbed. I had a similar problem when I was helping my Dad with a small raised bed he had. Some shrubs needed removed, but there was a load of ground nesting bees there when I started digging by one of the shrubs. Nothing I could do unfortunately.  :/

It's also worth spending a bit of time with your daughter and trying to help her with this. I've never forgotten a friend of my daughter's who went berserk when a butterfly came near her in our garden. It can often be learned behaviour from friends and peers, although in this case - it was from her mother. Very sad.  She couldn't have been more different from all the other children around us  :(
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,910
    The bees are not going to attack your daughter. Yes, they will probably carry on nesting happily if the nest has not been too much disturbed.

It might be a good time to get your kids really interested in bees - once they realise they are not going to hurt anyone and the bees are only interested in each other. It is a great chance to watch bee behaviour and share education. They are not honey bees.

The Bumble Bee Trust has lots of fun info on bees - not just bumblebees. It might be good to try and ID what type is nesting.

• Hi thanks all for the bee advice, I've managed to get the side propped up better and the lid back down, there's no bees flying around anymore so hopefully they weren't disturbed too much.
    My daughter is trickier lol. We have a vegetable patch which we do together, we have a sunflower competition every year and we look after our container pond ( which will have to stay as a container pond for now) but bees? Nope she's gone. 
    I can only assume someone in school got stung or has said something because nothings ever happened at home. I'll keep trying with her this year...we certainly will have plenty of bees to practise with lolol
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,910
    I think it's worth finding out where the terror is coming from and who said what to whom.