Forum home Plants

ID please

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,099
I suppose  it might be a primula. I have scores of primroses  but the leaves look a bit thick and dark 

In London. Keen but lazy.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    @B3 Yes it is a primula. The give away is the darker colour in the leaf at the base. Not sure if it is an indicator of the flower colour. I have P Vulgaris it is just slightly darker at the base of the leaf.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,099
    There are one or two coloured ones dotted about. Looks like it might be a dark one. No flower buds that I noticed. Maybe next spring  .Thanks @GardenerSuze. I'm sure you're right.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    I agree, although not sure you can predict flower colour.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    Time will tell. It's unlikely to be the vulgaris, though. The leaves aren't the same.
    So long as it's not that really dark yellow, I don't mind.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    Some of the dark red and dark purple primulas do seem to have darker leaves.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
    That's what I'm hoping but to be honest, they're gatecrashers. I love the wild primrose  -   vulgaris best.
    I think the cultivars are more likely to be vulgar😏