Forum home Plants

Anyone had success with (outdoor) scheffleras?

carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 80
Just wondering if anyone had had success in growing scheffleras outdoors? I lost a taiwaniana over winter although they are reportedly hardy. Is it worth persevering? Which other types are easy to grow outdoors? I'd love to add the macrophylla to my garden.
An exotic jungle garden in West Yorkshire: instagram.com/carletonexotic 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,073
    @carletonexotic I cannot imagine they would be hardy in South Notts. I have always thought of them as a house plant.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,860

RHS reports Schefflera Taiwaniana as being quite hardy-

H4: hardy through most of the UK (-10 to -5)

So should be OK.

And I found this re. macrophylla  -

Schefflera (Araliaceae) BWJ16322

macrophylla

Undoubtedly the most dramatic species in cultivation at this time which we were pleased to introduce into cultivation in 2007. This collection from seed I collected around the 2000m from a mountain pass near the old French hill station of Sapa, in the northern most part of Vietnam in 2018. An area which does endure surprisingly cold winters at times, as in snow and ice down to 1,500m. Here it is normally seen as a single stemmed tree at 5-7m tall, topped with a wide canopy of exceptionally large leaves, composed of 3-5 paddle-shaped leaflets combining to form one meter wide leaves on long purple petioles (leaf stem) to 2m. You may think that would be enough, but on emerging the entire new growth is smothered in a ginger indumentum. Essential to grow out of strong winds in a warm site.

Which I found here - 
    https://mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk/
    They seem to have a huge range of them

Hopefully someone in on this forum has direct experience and can advise.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,144
    Schefflera Taiwaniana  RWJ10016
    .....we grew it is South Wales in a very sheltered spot.
    I love the leaves.
    At Branklyn Gardens NTS. Perth Scotland they have a Schefflera sp ...not sure which one. Next time i go I will check.No pics as it was not the prettiest I have seen.

We used to grow a few more...see pics...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157679767425986

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 80
    Schefflera Taiwaniana  RWJ10016
    .....we grew it is South Wales in a very sheltered spot.
    I love the leaves.
    At Branklyn Gardens NTS. Perth Scotland they have a Schefflera sp ...not sure which one. Next time i go I will check.No pics as it was not the prettiest I have seen.

We used to grow a few more...see pics...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157679767425986

Those look great, especially the one in the first few photos. I too had mine in a shady spot by an east-facing fence. Managed to get it through its first winter, added new growth, and then seemed to bite the dust over the winter just gone. Not sure what happened - perhaps too wet?
    An exotic jungle garden in West Yorkshire: instagram.com/carletonexotic