Forum home Problem solving

Rat's

Hi we had  rat's this winte from river behind the house my problem is do I change  the compoest from the container in which I  grow   my vegetables is safe or not ?

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 987
    I imagine this might be the first time you've NOTICED the rats but, if you're near a river, they may have been there all along?  Probably not much to worry about.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,710
    I suspect you are worried about Lyme disease from rats' urine and faeces.  I don't think I would be too worried.  We had rats on our allotments and I suspect many have rats running around their veg. plots without even knowing about it.  Provided you wash the veg. before cooking/eating I should think it would be OK.
    We had rats coming into our actual kitchen and that was more serious. It was what finally decided us to knock the kitchen down and rebuild.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    Depending on what veg you grow, you'd probably need to change the growing medium in your containers anyway. 
    Other than that, the advice already given is good, especially re washing any veg  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,249
    I would have thought you would be changing the soil in your veg. containers anyway.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,117
    Rats have been running around farms for thousands of years and people have been eating the stuff that the farms produce for just as long.

We’re all still here.

(And so are the rats.)
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.