Forum home Garden design

New triangular garden

Hello everyone, I’ve just got my very first property with garden! But, I need some help designing it 😂 it is south/west facing and gets sun most of the day from what I can tell, the soil is acidic (doing PH tests as we speak to clarify). The hedge on the left was already there. The garden does tend to slow towards where I’m standing. Suggestions and ideas would be great!

The garden is much bigger than it looks but couldn’t get the whole thing in!

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,008
    Hello Josh  :)
    What sort of things do you want in your garden and what kind of style ? Contemporary or more traditional?  Flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables? 
    Do you want something easy care or do you really want to get involved ? 
    What size is the garden overall ?
    Enough questions for now 😁.

Seeing all your bins makes me think a bin store with a "living" roof might be one idea to consider. 
  • josh1990josh1990 Posts: 9
    edited April 2022
    Hello Anni 😁

I love the idea of cottage style gardens. I love digitalis, brunnera, ajuga, penstemons and absolutely lots more 😂
    I’ve got a separate garden for the veg which I’ll leave for now. I wouldn’t mind a few shrubs, and I’m an all in gardener. As long as it’s light I’ll be outside!

Sizes are: 17meters on the diagonal section (where the Grisellinia are)
    15meters on the right hand side where the shed is etc, and 12meters across!
    A search on sites such as Pinterest for "triangular shaped gardens" may help to give you some ideas. I'm assuming you want to keep some lawn?
    Other things to consider are paths (direct routes are best ! ) and washing whirlygig, stuff like that.

Having a sunny garden gives you all sorts of opportunities,  and plants such as penstemon will enjoy that. What l would also say is it's worth checking to see what sort of plants your neighbours are growing, as that will give you a fair idea of what will suit your garden. I'd also do a soil test in more than one area, you might be surprised. 

I know you're desperate to get plants in the ground, but getting the design and any hard landscaping done first is key. You can always move/change plants, but shifting paths etc is a bit more tricky.

Another thing to think about is visiting Garden Centres several times a year if possible, to see what's on sale. This gives you the opportunity to buy plants at different times of the year and ensure that you have something of interest for most of the year.

Also when you lay out beds etc, don't forget to check from your upstairs window (s) to see what it looks like from above.
  • josh1990josh1990 Posts: 9
    Hello Anni, ideally some lawn would be nice, and yes I won’t rush to buy plants I’d rather get the beds dug first. As for paths I’m not sure if I’ll just have grass paths, or no path at all as such. There’s a path on the right hand side in the photo so I’m wondering if I just use that? 

I’m wondering if I have a border starting at the top by the small piece of decking and having it follow the path all the way down and curving round to the left. So in effect one large long border. I guess another option would be a larger triangular bed in the middle, or 3 small beds in the middle with a path in between. 
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    edited April 2022
    I rather like this idea of circles to stop the space feeling so triangular, I’m not sure id fancy mowing the lawn so much though 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    I would make one circular or oval lawn whose edges touch or slightly overlap all 3 sides of the triangle.  That way you create 3 decent sized beds for a variety of plants.  At the top end you could put an arch across a path leading from the lawn to te far corner to give you access to but disguise the corner where your bins and a compost heap could be. 

Mark out the circle either with sand poured from a bottle or  hose pipe laid out and then view it from every window up and downstairs to see if it feels right.

You could have a pond for wildlife in one corner.  Plants for the beds will depend on what kinds and colours of plants you like and what will suit your soil.   You might want to pave or gravel one corner to fit in a table and chairs for dining and drinks.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Personally l would go for one large border and go for the "wow" effect. When l started my garden over 30 years ago l had 3 separate beds down one side, but eventually they all joined up to form one big one. Made things easier for my OH when it came to mowing the lawn.

As for paths, if you don't want/need them then l wouldn't bother. You could always look at maybe putting in stepping stones at a later date.

If you're good at drawing or CAD (or whatever the modern equivalent is), it might be worth doing a few designs based on your ideas and seeing if one appeals more than the others.

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    That looks fantastic @JennyJ
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,106
    I think a circle is a perfect idea for a triangular garden it draws the eye to the middle.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.