Forum home Plants

Retaining moisture in clay soil

B3B3 Posts: 21,531
I was doing a bit of weeding and jiggling the top couple of inches of soil ( this is what passes for digging here 😊). About an inch or so under the surface,the soil is moist. 
Am I doing more damage exposing the damp soil? Would I be better leaving a dry crust for now?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,571
    Leaving it means missing the window when you can get those weeds out, so maybe in theory, but in practice there's not much option but to disturb the surface. I guess this is where mulching is the best option, to keep that moisture in after you've got the weeds out
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,030
    A dry crust can often act as a rain barrier, causing it to run off away from your plants' roots.  I often break it up with a hoe or fork.  Aeration is also good for compacted soil, even if it means unearthing some weed seeds and encouraging them to grow!
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,531
    Right .Thanks Both. I was going to pull the weeds and bluebells anyway and the bare soil looks better after a jiggle.
    In London. Keen but lazy.