Forum home Plants

Houseplants Thread 2022

zugeniezugenie Posts: 625
Didn’t know if anyone would be interested in a roses style yearly thread for houseplants? Share your houseplants or ask for advice etc :)

This is the newest leaf on my monstera, first one since we moved house which definitely upset it!!

I have a few plants that desperately need repotting but somehow I don’t have the right size pots, which never happens as I’m such a pot hoarder!

• Jules123Jules123 Posts: 7
    I think it’s a great idea! I need help with my palm, it looks like it might be dying😢any ideas? it’s my first post and can’t get pic right way up. Please be gentle 😬
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,112
    Hi @Jules123 I have only recently started to grow indoor plants. Not sure if I can help but it could be tap water or overwatering. Hope someone else can give more advice, I do know that there are some very knowledgable house plant growers on this forum. Welcome!
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,433
    Check the compost you are using, the drainage, whether it need re potting, the light levels, feeding regime :)  
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 625
    @Jules123 I’d always check for pests first, spider mites or thrips is what I’d be looking for, if that’s all clear then check the roots and think about how and when you water, do you fertilise etc
    Thanks for your replies! I took it out of the pot and laid the root in the sun, did feel quite wet. I have repotted it with soil and perlite and will look into maybe feeding it. Fingers crossed it will improve. Will keep you posted
    Oh and couldn’t see any bugs 🤞
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    @Jules123, not sure if it’s the same as yours, but here’s my Kentia palm, bought 6 years ago — perhaps a bit of a pricey approach but thought I’d share what I’ve done. The lower leaves are chewed up on the ends thanks to my cat…

I bought a small bag of Lechuza pon from Amazon as well as a Lechuza self-watering pot and put the palm in the pot with its whole rootball taken from the original plastic pot it was in, and filled in with pon and nothing else; no compost or grit or fertiliser granules. (The pon looks like grit but I think it’s lighter and more porous so holds water until the plant needs it, also it does have some fertiliser mixed in it I think — https://www.lechuza.co.uk/accessories-plant-substrate/lechuza-pon-3-liter/19560.html/? — I think the perlite should the the same for you?)

And that’s it — I’ve never fertilised it or repotted it (maybe I should soon). I fill up the self-watering reservoir and allow it to get fully used up, give it a week with the reservoir dry and then fill it up again. So watering is every 6 to 8 weeks or so; very handy for holidays. I do use rainwater only as much as possible.

@Athelas It looks lovely! I will have a look on Amazon and hope mine can look like that someday. 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,058
    That peperomia is really lovely, @Athelas.

I’ve finally taken some time to repot and dust the philodendron Birkin. The new leaves are really nice. This philodendron is well known from reverting to a previous version, but I don’t mind either.