Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is my apple dying? Advice please.

Edinburgh_WGEdinburgh_WG Posts: 8
edited April 2022 in Fruit & veg
Hello All

I was wondering if anyone could please advise. My newly ordered apple tree's leaves (white transparent on M9 rootstock) have started to turn yellow. Is my tree dying please? (It was a birthday present to myself, so I hope not.)

Thank you. 

• Edinburgh_WGEdinburgh_WG Posts: 8
    edited April 2022
    Thanks.

It arrived with the little leaves being green, but it didn't look very healthy altogether. 

I put it into a pot, and within a couple of days (literary), the tree's leaves started to turn yellow. 

I used 'Westland Tree and Shrub Planting Mix'. As soon as I did that, I watered the tree, then a couple of days later, I watered it again, as it was drier up here. 

Nights were cooler up here, too, but white transparent is a cold-weather resistant variety. 

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511
    I agree, send the company a photo.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Thank you, both.

Obtaining the refund is the least of my worries here, because it won't be a problem to get it.

The main worry for me is to save the tree. 

Yes, the tree came as bare root. The roots were damp and wrapped in a bag. 

If the tree was stressed because of being bare root, does that mean it won't survive?

Is there anything I can do to try to let it survive? 

Thank you. 
  • Edinburgh_WGEdinburgh_WG Posts: 8
    edited April 2022
    Hi Pansyface

Just wanted to say thanks. It looks like your advice has worked and after the initial shock, the tree seems to be recovering with new growth appearing and being green. 

Thank you.
  • I've been honest with the company. They need to somehow make money, too.

So, I've started a return, but will cancel it. Especially that it's a very small company. 
  • Hi PansyFace

Just wanted to say thanks once more. The tree has definitely recovered from the initial shock and is now in leaf. I don't expect any fruit on it this year though but that's ok. 

Thanks once more.