Forum home Plants

ID please

Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
My daughter has this growing on her garden which looks like a euphorbia to me or is it a wild spurge (same plant?). She's next to a field so has lots of weeds!
Many thanks. 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,118
    @Lizzie27 I wondered if it might be a linaria.
     If it is euphorbia wear gloves and snap a small piece of stem, the sap is milky and an irritant.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,080
    Definitely toadflax.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Agree toadflax. It's one of my favourite plants because it attracts so many bees but is a good spreader.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    Thanks very much for the replies - we'll leave in the borders then.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,080
    You can trim them back in the autumn or early spring and you'll get fresh new leaves. You have a lovely specimen there.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,118
    @Lizzie27 There are some lovely colours, peach, pink, white but the purple is by far the dominant colour. The other colours are short lived and Peachy doesn't set seed at all for me. I think it might be sterile.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 176
    @GardenerSuze the native one is yellow- Linaria vulgaris. I grow it and it's beautiful.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148
    edited April 2022
    Interesting...not seen this one before.

Linaria x purpurea peachy.....a perennial!

Linaria 'Peachy' is a sterile hybrid toadflax, crossed between yellow Linaria dalmatica and purple Linaria purpurea.

https://www.sarahraven.com/products/linaria-x-purpurea-peachy
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 228
    They can self seed vigourously but are easy to manage. I like them, and they grow in really poor soil