Forum home Plants

Snapdragons - are they really animal resistant?

Lena_vs_DeerLena_vs_Deer Seattle WA, USAPosts: 203
As you can see from the name of the thread pretty much wondering if snapdragons are as animal resistant as advertised. Articles online label them both deer and rabbit resistant but we all know that in real life nothing is really safe from them.

Still, was hoping anyone can share their experience on growing some and track record how much stays after grazing if any :D

Also are they are they pretty much annuals or do they manage to return at least through self seeding perhaps? 

Thank you kindly <3 

Johnnys Potomac Custom Mix Snapdragon

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,998
    The odd one will survive a mild winter. Some seeds germinate. I really can't imagine how they could be animal resistant unless they taste really horrible😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,003
    They certainly don’t survive my Deer walking over them.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    My resident rabbits certainly didn’t read the label when I tried 
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 665
    I very much doubt it re deer / rabbits , but they do seem to be slug-proof , do survive the occasional winter ( but are never as convincingly floriferous after year 1) but do self seed . I'm in a shoebox courtyard in London with plenty of concrete surfaces about to reflect heat when we have any.
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • My huge delphinium didn't survive  my collie puppy hurtling onto it at speed. Snapdragons as yet untested.
  • My huge delphinium didn't survive  my collie puppy hurtling onto it at speed. Snapdragons as yet untested.
  • We have regular visits from deer for their very early breakfast and late evening dinner, and so far they’ve avoided the yellow snapdragons like the plague.  Can’t say the same for everything else they nibble but I am getting more savvy as time goes on (as certain other plants disappeared 🤬 😡 ) 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I didn't know slugs are snap-averse. Good to discover. Thanks

How ok are snaps with partial, dappled shade?
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,998
    I grew some in dappled shade. No problem and when I think of it no slug damage either  some even survived for a second year.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lena_vs_DeerLena_vs_Deer Seattle WA, USAPosts: 203
    Interesting results! Thank you so much for sharing your observations!

i do wonder if color means something with these plants… same as @WhereAreMySecateurs my delphiniums got eaten to a stem recently. BUT! Only the blue ones . I have white ones just few feet away and those had been left untouched.

i suppose I should just go and try them :)