Forum home Fruit & veg

Sowing tomato seeds in late April?

I want to sow some tomatoes this weekend. Is it too late? Usually I sow them at the end of march. I'll still sow them regardless this weekend as a trial but has anyone had experience sowing this late.
Happy Gardening

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,268
    I sowed mine a week ago as usual … I grow them outside and don’t have a greenhouse so there’s no point in doing it earlier as they get too big for my windowsills!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    Mine are still in their packets, I can't put them out until June so plenty of time yet.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 589
    Because we are still on holiday in Australia (catching the plane later today) I haven't planted any of my seeds yet. The seed compost is in the greenhouse and the trays are already to go so I'll be having a busy weekend. Sweet red peppers are the only thing I will not plant as I don't think they will ripen before winter but I'm hoping everything else will catch up. I'm usually keen to get going and plant too early so it's an interesting experiment.
    After two and a half years since last seeing my granddaughter the garden, for once, took last place! 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,625
    Go for it. I only did mine two weeks ago, which is about normal. No greenhouse here either, like @Dovefromabove mine can't go outside until late May. The crop will be a bit later - I never get fruit until August, but then loads from them until the frosts come.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,591
    As a veteran of one whole attempt at growing tomatoes ;), I feel I can offer my words of wisdom :D 

I sowed some 'Red Cherry' on 13th April 2021 and started harvesting them on 1st Sept. The last ones were picked mid-Oct and ripened by end of Oct.

The plants were on the windowsill in the back porch to start with and then went into a 'blowaway' plastic mini greenhouse when they got a bit bigger.

In summary, go for it ;) 
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,456
    I sowed some Mountain Magic tomato seed this week. My first sowings are already potted on into bigger pots, prior to being moved into their grownup pots in a couple of weeks time. My tomatoes go into the greenhouse as I cannot grow them outside due to blight, too wet down here in Cornwall. You should be fine.
  • Thanks for feedback all. When I sow them at the end of march they usually grow away quickly on my windowsill and they start getting root bound. They can't go out as the weather is too cold. It may be for the best that they go in late. 
    Happy Gardening
  • Suesyn said:
    Because we are still on holiday in Australia (catching the plane later today) I haven't planted any of my seeds yet. The seed compost is in the greenhouse and the trays are already to go so I'll be having a busy weekend. Sweet red peppers are the only thing I will not plant as I don't think they will ripen before winter but I'm hoping everything else will catch up. I'm usually keen to get going and plant too early so it's an interesting experiment.
    After two and a half years since last seeing my granddaughter the garden, for once, took last place! 
    I think I'll be doing the same as you this weekend ; sowing tomatoes. 😁
    Happy Gardening
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,244
    I've left it too late too and I'll be buying plants. I really prefer sowing mid-March. Last year, I did early April and it was too late. I mean, I want fruit in August (and then more in September). Getting the first in September makes it all feel like not worth it.