Forum home Problem solving

Lawn issues

What sdvice can you give to rejuvinate my lawn. TIA

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,624
    Bumping this up with the hope that someone can advise.
    It looks like possible leatherjacket damage to me, but l'm not sure. l'm guessing the first thing would be to rake the dead stuff out, but l'd hang fire until someone confirms it  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    Rain.  :)
    It looks as if it's been scalped. What care has it had over winter and recently?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It’s our new home, cut the lawn yesterday for the first time, thanks
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    I think you've made the common mistake of cutting it far too severely, but it's not a disaster - it's just grass  :)
    When you cut, never take too much off the height - about a third is ideal. Cutting too short just weakens the grass. Little and often is the best method. If the blades are blunt, that can have an effect too :)
    If you're in a drier part of the country especially, it's better to keep it slightly longer going in to warmer drier conditions. 
    I never water grass because it isn't necessary here, but a good downpour will make a difference to that. If you feel the need, you could water it.
    Once it's recovered, take it from there. It may then benefit from a feed, but not cutting too short will help. You can come back with more photos if there's still a problem.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the info, much appreciated