Forum home Plants

Pyracantha Orange Charmer

Phil-RoboPhil-Robo Posts: 7
Hi,

I have planted 4 Pyracantha Orange Charmer plants in my garden, they are 12 inches from the fence.

I was thinking are they to close to the fence or do they need moving forward a bit?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,245
    I've got Pyracanthas right up against the fences here. No problem  :)
    If the fence is solid, rather than one with spaces between planks, they might be better further out, because they all spread a fair bit, apart from a few varieties which are decidedly columnar. I just prune off any bits that are too outward growing, and they grow through my fence and form a good thick hedge on the outside. 

They can all be pruned though, and are often grown almost like topiary against walls. It just depends how much room you have, and how you want them to look  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,173
    @philip.robinson777 I would say 18 to 20 inches would be what I would do. As they are new you will need to water well into the Autumn. A soaking once a week should do . There is little rain fall next to a fence. Welcome to the forum.
  • Phil-RoboPhil-Robo Posts: 7
    Thanks Fairygirl & GardenerSuze,

They are in a good spot for rain (when we have it) so should be ok. I 'll consider whether to move them forward a bit though, but don't really want to disturb them if possible.

Thanks for the welcome.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,658
    I would say they are a tad close unless your fence is very sturdy and you are happy to spend a lot of time battling them into submission with regular pruning. Wearing gauntlets - those thorns are very sharp and I’m always spiking myself on mine. I would go for gardenersuze’s 18-20”, but as FG says, it does depend on how you want them to look, they can even be kind of espaliered against the fence to keep really narrow.
    Mine have never been watered since the day they were planted - about 7 or 8 years ago, because it just isn't needed here.  When I say they're right up against the fence - I'm not exaggerating!
    As with any plant, it comes down to soil, climate and location.  :)

Hi Nollie,

I will look at them tomorrow and consider moving them forward a bit. I want a nice thick hedge along the fence line, i know they will take time to grow and need a lot of pruning to get them right.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,173
    They look amazing espaliered but will be a project for years to come.
    Fairygirl

My fence is the featheredge type and isn't as high as i would like, i'm going to be making it higher with fence panels or trellis in the near future. The aim of the hedge is for it to grow higher, just above the height of the fence for more privacy and security.

I live in an housing association property, so i'm limited really to what i can do.
    They're very good as a boundary for keeping out intruders. They're often recommended by the Police for that purpose.  :)
    I hope they do well for you.

That's one of the reasons i chose them to keep out intruders, not that we've had any but it's just for added security.