Forum home Plants

How can you tell if bulbs are dead,?

susananwmssusananwms Posts: 201
Is there a way of telling if a bulb is dead or do you just have to plant and wait. I'm sure I've found some that are no good, I did not store them correctly and think they have perished because of that. I have asked a couple of people and they just said plant and see what happens. I've sent a pic, not sure if enough detail though

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,302
    I am assuming they are Dahlia tubers??
    If so, cut of the dead stems and plant in pots, in barely moist MPC, place in a frost free place and wait for a few weeks. Then you will know.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • susananwmssusananwms Posts: 201
    Wow punkdoc thanks for quick reply.  I am not sure what they are but I will definitely do what you say and see what happens
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,022
    If the tubers were dead, they'd look either desiccated due to no water content, or wet and a bit soft due to a fungal infection causing rotting.  Yours look pretty good - I think there's hope!  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    I think there's a shoot on that top one, but it might be the photo. 
    Follow the advice given and you might get a result. Don't bury them too deep.
    I agree, they look reasonably viable  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• susananwmssusananwms Posts: 201
    Thanks Plantminded and Fairygirl that is good news and to think I was going to put them in the rubbish.  I will plant them up and see what happens.  I will post on here if I get some flowers.  Love this site.