Forum home Problem solving

Help please

Hello can anyone identify this plant please. Just randomly growing around pond.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,701
    It's a cotoneaster horizontalis polly-ap. The flowers buzz with bees and later the blackbirds love the berries.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,997
    Cotoneaster horizontalis. Has tiny flowers that bees love, then red berries for the birds. Withstands pruning, but tricky to maintain a good appearance if left too long.
  • polly_appolly_ap Posts: 22
    thank you both for your quick replys you are a great help 😀
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,379
    Blackbirds love the berries and will seed it all over the place as a result. Look out for seedlings and remove them or transplant to where you want them.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,162
    Lovely grown as a fan to cover a fence. Will need some wire to hold it. If panel needs replacing it can be taken out new panel in with out much disturbance to the plant
    Thanks , this is a great help.
    moved to country from city so lots to learn😊
    I have another plant I’m not sure about. So grateful for everyone’s help.
    It is very bright yellow all year round . Cheers 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,597
    A type of euonymus l think, possibly originally variegated but the yellow has become predominant  :)
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 159
    edited 20 April
    A euonymous I think? Emerald n Gold is one of the golden varieties. Interesting that you've got the variegated leaves, yellow leaves and green leaves all in one plant! (Sorry @AnniD - just saw your reply! Agree with you :) )
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,092
    I have an Emerald 'n' Gold that does that, and there's been at least one other thread about it recently so I don't think it's uncommon. The green parts tend to be stronger than the original variegated colour and the all-yellow tends to be weaker on mine. It's an old variety and some of the newer ones might be more stable.
    Thank you again. Really helpful and knowledgeable 😀