Forum home Garden design

Hanging pots not straight

Hi

I have bought some hanging pots and i have attached those to a wooden structure, as you can see in the picture

When hanging it, it is not straight, give its shape, it is leaning to the front, and it is affecting the growing and the position of the soil, as it tends to go to the front. The back side of the soil is almost dry as the water always goes down to the front.

The model i have bought is this one from BQ

Nurgul Dark grey Plastic Round Hanging pot Dia20cm  DIY at BQ

Any suggestions on what can i do to keep it straight? I dont know if i can insert anything between the wooden structure and the handle

Thanks!

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    Perhaps you could discreetly use a spacer made of garden cane, wood, sponge or similar, attached to the back of each pot with superglue or frog tape.  
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Block of wood painted a similar color or black and screwed through the inside of the pot with a washer?  Predrill through the plastic first.  
    Utah, USA.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293
    Angle the plants backwards slightly when you insert them, then level the compost so it nearly reaches the rim at the front, but is lower (in relation to the pot) at the back.  Direct water towards back when watering.
  • Thanks all. I tried the spacer and had no luck. The problem is the pot is too heavy and tends to go towards

maybe attaching something to the bottom to keep it straight would work?
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,706
    Hi @Javi.xeneize could you please post a couple of close-up photos of those pots with actual plants in them showing how much they lean forward? And what kind of plants are they?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    There's a photo at the start of the thread - albeit a bit far away.
    I think you'd need to attach something to the trellis - a block of wood that's big enough to fill that gap when the pot is on the trellis.
    It would only be a problem if you were moving the pots around regularly, but if they were screwed on, it wouldn't be too difficult to remove them. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks both. I have flowers, herbs… 
    I have attached two pics

i tried to put a piece of wood there and it worked for a day, the day after I saw the pot started to slide and went back to that position, this is why I think it is too heavy 
    Are you fixing the bit of wood onto the trellis though?
    You might need to use something bigger than you have done, and also work out the best placement of it. Around half way down the pot itself would probably be best.  :)

• I just placed it between the trellis and the pot, and tried between the wall and the pot too. I think I would need to screw it to the wall. The problem is as you said when I need to move the pot, do maybe something holding the pot from the bottom would be a better option
    Whatever you use to fill the gap - it would have to be attached securely or it'll just fall out.  :)
    Whether you attach to the pot, the trellis or the wall, it needs to be screwed on.