Forum home Garden design

Lack Of Spacial Awareness

Alan.F.Alan.F. Central Scotland - Ochil HillsPosts: 24
Does anyone else suffer from this 🤣 Last year I decided to plant some bulbs in the front garden, measured it by eye, bought 40 bulbs, had room for about 25. This year decided to plant a little sedum garden, ordered some online, had a couple in pots already, saw one today reduced so brought it home. When i placed it down, realised ive been wildly opptimistic about how many I'll fit in. Is it just me or does anyone else suffer this affliction ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    This time of year, I need a greenhouse twice as big.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,041
    Yes without a doubt I suffer from this Alan.F. Perhaps I should say suffer with this though. I plant a garden far more densely than I should and after a couple of years, I have to create another garden within the garden to accommodate my 'thinnings out' but have to buy a few more plants or shrubs because I haven't got quite enough. 

That's how it's always been in my gardens and I don't suppose I'll change now. However, I'm getting older and live in hope that one day I might get fed up with gardening. Aye, right! 

• Alan.F.Alan.F. Central Scotland - Ochil HillsPosts: 24
    Uff said:
    Yes without a doubt I suffer from this Alan.F. Perhaps I should say suffer with this though. I plant a garden far more densely than I should and after a couple of years, I have to create another garden within the garden to accommodate my 'thinnings out' but have to buy a few more plants or shrubs because I haven't got quite enough. 

That's how it's always been in my gardens and I don't suppose I'll change now. However, I'm getting older and live in hope that one day I might get fed up with gardening. Aye, right! 

😂 so there's no hope. Luckily my garden is so small it's now full. Time to buy more pots. My mum loves it though, she gets the left overs.
    Sorry, there's no hope. This garden that I now have is the smallest that I've ever had but the trouble is I'm starting to change things . . . 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,747
    Better to be generous with your planting to reduce the sight of bare soil and deter any weeds looking for a new home!  Many plants are happy to be moved, divided and replanted so be optimistic with your estimates and enjoy the plants that you like!
  • Alan.F.Alan.F. Central Scotland - Ochil HillsPosts: 24
    Better to be generous with your planting to reduce the sight of bare soil and deter any weeds looking for a new home!  Many plants are happy to be moved, divided and replanted so be optimistic with your estimates and enjoy the plants that you like!
    Thanks, I like the sound of that 😁
    ... to get rid of the evidence?
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Find it's a part of learning too. I get better over the years and judging (and remembering) how much space I have, when and where. Now I try and plan a spot before I buy a plant. I think it's getting a bit easier. 

My problems are not so much spatial, more 'plant overwhelm'. I have so much going on - cuttings, things need repotting, new plants, tubers, climbers to feed, just planted plants that need tending - that keeping track of it all is a full time job May-Sept. I have a small garden but I seem to run around just trying to keep everything from karking. My current mission to try and simplify matters so it's more fun and less choresome. When all the new plants are "in" life gets a bit easier. This is partly a health issue.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,576
    I have a bit of a different issue, when I had small back yards/gardens I crammed everything in I could (and also went the pot route) Now I have basically unlimited space I don't do anything with it at all! (other than vegetables/fruit!)