Forum home Garden design

What to underplant with trachelospermum jasminoides?

ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 421
edited April 2022 in Garden design
Hail fellow gardeners!

We've just undertaken the mammoth task of repotting our 8-year-old star jasmine. It was well overdue as the pot it was in was way too small. Felt very guilty. I think it's been under quite a bit of stress but hopefully will be much happier now it's got this huge old water tank to spread out in.

The tank looks way to bleak and bare though so I'm looking for suggestions to plant in front of the jasmine? Preferably something upright but shortish and something that will trail a bit and soften that tank. I'm aware we don't want to crowd the jasmine with too many other plants. It's on a south-facing wall and the rest of the patio is planted with mainly evergreens and whites, (ignore the bulbs, only there in spring) plus some aggies in pots. 

Here's the plant / pot:

And the view across it: 

And with my back to it: 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance :smile:

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    The pictures haven't loaded, but I have a large water tank with a Prunus serrula, and have gravel mulched with a simple planting of Dianthus carthusianorum and Origanum "Herrenhausen", which like the hot dry conditions. 
  • ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 421
    @Loxley thanks for letting me know about the photos - although I have no idea why they don't show for you  :( as I can see them ... Your planting sounds lovely - thank you for the suggestion! 
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 685
    edited April 2022
    Still can’t see the photos, and not sure how large your water tank is, but here’s what I have planted with my star jasmine, however this is east facing

a — Pittosporum tenuifolium ‘Tandara Gold’
    b — Euonymus fortunei ‘Emerald Gaeity’
    c — Campanula ‘Campala’, which should trail down further over summer with lots of violet-blue flowers

If the tank will be in hot sun, you could also try creeping thyme as a spiller (a variety of flower colours available, including white), adding plenty of gravel for drainage. I tried this before but there wasn’t enough sun and heat to keep the thyme going. Note the thyme spilled over a lot more than in the photo, which was taken in late spring.

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 421
    @Athelas that looks stunning! Much more sophisticated than my usual planting schemes. I do like the contrasting greens, although I don't think the tank is large enough to accommodate the pittosporum but I might try the euonymus :smile: