Forum home Plants

Can you please help me identify these 3 plants in my garden? :-)

Hi everyone

Hope you are well and Happy Bank Holiday Monday!

Is there any chance you could help me identify these 3 plants I have in my garden, I recently moved and unfortunately a lot of my labels went walkabout.

I'm a very new gardener having discovered it relaxes me (who would have known? :smile:) but my knowledge is so very poor, I need to build it up.

I have been told this first one may be hazel but I'm just not sure?

I believe this next one may be honesty. My grandmother once told me (years and years ago) that it was a weed - but I think what she meant was that it is self seeding.

This last one I think could be a silver birch that that has been snapped off but I'm just so unsure as I had so many pots.  

Thank you so much in advance!!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    The top one could be beech or hazel.

The second is not honesty which is a biennial plant and does not have woody stems as pictured.

The third is too indistinct.  Wait a  few days till those buds open up and then take a closer picture of the leaves and/or blossom to help identify it.

You need @silversurfer to pop in as they are ace at IDs.

Enjoy your new hobby and garden.  Lots of fun to come and plenty of help and advice on here when needed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,041
    The top is silver birch, middle some sort of prunus and bottom beech but pic is indistinct
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148
    edited April 2022
    Welcome to the forums  NewBeeswax 
    1. Betula...a silver birch.
    2. Amelanchier sp.
    3.?
    Need to see clear pics when leaves are open.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    The leaf buds on no. 3 remind me of magnolia stellata but it's too soon to tell.
  • Thankyou everyone!

for the third one I will post pictures once the leaves open.
  • NewBeeswaxNewBeeswax Posts: 10
    Hi everyone!

Hope you are well.

I am back a month later with a new pic if it helps at all? (to identify it)

Many thanks!
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,057
    Amelanchier, I think.
  • NewBeeswaxNewBeeswax Posts: 10
    @pitter-patter
    Thanks very much :-)