Forum home Problem solving

Getting rid of bamboo

Any tips of ridding established bamboo?  My neighbours planted it and it's come up between the fence and their gazebo, we've managed to cut it down to a couple of inches, but it's in a very awkward spot (see pic). I've left the fence panel propped up until we manage to kill it as I don't want it coming back between the fence panel and our neighbours gazebo again.
TIA 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    I would suggest using a weedkiller containing glysophate, but normally that's if the plant is in your own garden. Do your neighbours want to keep it ?
  • Jo_WJo_W Posts: 16
    Yes, probably, but this bit needs to go as it grows between our fence panel and their gazebo. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,947
    Maybe just check that the neighbours do want to keep it. If it's a PITA for you, it might be for them too. Glyco will kill the while plant.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,079
    There's probably roots underneath the gazebo as well. With no space to dig, that's got to be a weedkiller job. If the neighbours want to keep some of it, maybe they (or you) could chop down with a spade all around the piece they want to keep, to sever the roots. That might stop the weedkiller from travelling back along the roots into the main clump. Risky though. Have a chat with them first. If it's running along there it'll be running in other directions as well so they might be glad of some help to get rid of it.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,486
    edited 18 April
    Whilst it is coming from a neighbours garden you can , albeit a lot of work, just keep cutting it back and this will weaken the growths on your side. However you do need to on the watch for any new growths under slabs on your side. Digging out on your side as your photo shows is very difficult as would be a membrane between you and your neighbour.
    If it is on your side yes you can use chemicals and these need to be applied to the new growths always following instructions carefully.
    Bamboos are great but they do decide where they are going to grow.
    Thank you, some great suggestions.  Not had chance to speak to my neighbours yet, it doesn't appear to have grown much since we cut it back, but I don't know how quickly bamboo grows.  I just need to chat to them and find out if they want to keep it too, it's in a corner of their garden, which if spreading, will hit 2 other garden, as well as mine! 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,700
    I feel for you Jo_W. I wouldn't be a happy bunny if I had a neighbour whose bamboo was coming through to my garden. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    Therein lies the problem with bamboo  :/
    Best to speak to the neighbours, but make it clear it's creating a problem. 
    The only way to get rid of that relatively easily is with weed killer, and it can be very stubborn. 
    Good luck .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It's a real pain, I'm just going to have to speak to my neighbours about it.