Forum home Garden design

Creating a pond in garden

TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
Hi! 

I’m going to document the creation of my pond. 

Hopefully some will find it useful when they come to do it. 

I’ve chosen my spot. It’s in my north facing back garden in the north east of England. 

The spot receives sunlight for around 6 hours a day in spring and 8/9 in summer (on the odd day that it is sunny here 😂 ) 

I plotted out the shape with a hosepipe; cleared away the gravel; cut and peeled the membrane and started exploring to see what was underneath. 

I’ve dug up a lot of roots from a tree that once stood a few meters away; a few bricks and a couple of pavers. 

Next step will be to dig out to the depths I want. I’m gonna go two feet deep in the centre and have a gentle slope around the largest curve and also one at the other end. 

I’m going to use some man made fibre carpet on top of the soil and then get some liner. 

I’ll update again once the hole is dug and I’ve bought the liner. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293
    What are you going to do with the soil/rubble that comes out?
    Leave a ledge or two for marginal plants to sit on.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Yes @Buttercupdays I’m going to create some ledges. 👍🏼

I’m going to create another new bed on the other side of the garden so I’ll use some of the lighter, less compacted soil for that. 

The man who did my fence last summer will take the rest. He gives it to friends. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293
    edited April 2022
    That's helpful :)
    Could use some of it here if you were nearer!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    It's a great project to document. Thanks for sharing and taking the time.
    It’s not something you think about people needing until your start gardening @Buttercupdays

Thanks @Fire

I’m doing what GW doesn’t do. What I should do is not update this until it’s done. Ta dah! “And that is how you make a pond!” 😂
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,313

I’m doing what GW doesn’t do. What I should do is not update this until it’s done. Ta dah! “And that is how you make a pond!” 😂
    and then change your mind
    Devon.
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 616
    Woohoo! I’m looking forward to seeing this!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    The Green Man can change his mind whenever he wants. x
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 616
    I presume there will be a photo of you laying on your side by the pond at some point?
    zugenie said:
    Woohoo! I’m looking forward to seeing this!
    I wanted to dig it all out today but I had to do other things apparently like eat and bathe 😂