Forum home Problem solving

Is my Cherry Espalier tree dead?

This cherry espalier is 1 of 4 trees along my fence line. Has been here 4 years with no problem. They were mature when put into the garden. We had little to no fruit the first year which we expected. Each year we have had more.  Last year we had a bad dose of black bugs which killed all the leaves and fruit despite being sprayed. It has not come back this year and the other have. 
Is there anything I can do or has it given up? 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,179
    @11tammyp11 Have you tried just scraping a bit of the bark to see if it is alive? I have just contacted you on another thread what a lovely garden one of your triumphs.
  • 11tammyp1111tammyp11 Posts: 7
    Ah thankyou @GardenerSuze I have little knowledge and it has become a hobby since lockdown until which I relied heavily upon gardeners! 

I have scraped some bark and it'd brown.... I'm guessing that's not right? 
  • 11tammyp1111tammyp11 Posts: 7
    I cut some small branched today and this is how they look.....
    @11tammyp11 That does not look good, I would just wait for other forum members comments. They may be able to give further advice and help on what to do if you need to replace it? So pleased you are becoming interested in gardening. 
    @11tammyp11 Think the next thing is to move some soil and take a look at the roots. If you do want to replace it someone might know if it is ok to plant another cherry in the same soil?