Forum home Problem solving

Euronymus hedge with dying leaves

Hi I have a newly planted Euronymus hedge (planted in autumn) it has some dying leaves turning brown. But has new growth that looks healthy.

Is this normal for them to shed older leaves in spring?

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

I have religiously made sure the soil isn't too wet or too dry haha. But if this is over or under watering I'm happy to take the hit. There is no pooling on the surface of the soil even in HEAVY rain so I'm pretty sure the soil is not waterlogged.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098
    I don't see too much wrong with that  :)
    You'll always get foliage dying off, or getting damaged, on evergreens, due to weather, and the fact that they replace foliage on a regular basis, and it isn't necessarily a sign of a major problem.
    If the plants are in a decent border, and clear of weeds, they should be fine, although it also depends where you are, as some are tougher than others. I have one which regularly suffers in winter. Can't remember which one it is though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 997
    Yes, a lot of evergreen shrubs shed older leaves in Spring, it's a natural process.  Euonymus are usually quite robust.  I'd try applying a foliar feed of seaweed extract just to give them a boost.  I find this works well on plants that appear to be struggling.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,063
    I pruned my big euonymus on Friday and the ground underneath is covered in fallen dead leaves that have accumulated since last time I looked under there. It's absolutely normal :)