Forum home Problem solving

Rose plant infestation

EdlontonEdlonton LondonPosts: 59
Hi

I have just noticed that my rose plant has some kind of infestation. There are lots of small green things on top and under the leaves. 

Please check the attached picture. 

I have sprayed it with bug killer but it’s soon to see any results. 

What are they? 

Thank you very much. 
Ed. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,077
    Hi, they are just normal greenfly/aphids. They like roses and don't usually do much harm. Ladybirds love them. You can wipe the aphids off with your fingers or take a hose to them (if you have one) - A powerful stream will knock them off.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,022
    edited 17 April
    They look like aphids, very common at this time of year.  They tend to feed on fresh new growth but rarely cause any real harm.  Small birds often feed on them.  Rather than using an insecticide you can just remove them by hand or with a hosepipe or spray bottle containing water.

This link gives more information: Aphids: How to Get Rid of Aphids Safely - BBC Gardeners World Magazine
  • EdlontonEdlonton LondonPosts: 59
    Thank you, I don't know why I always thought aphids/green fly will move.

Will remove them by hand as much as possible.

Thank you both for your help.
  • WhereAreMySecateursWhereAreMySecateurs Posts: 247
    edited 17 April
    I don't have a hose (yet) so I squirt a washing up liquid solution on them and wipe gently.

Loads this year all over my roses.

• EdlontonEdlonton LondonPosts: 59
    I have sprayed the rose plant leaves carefully with a hose and it looks much better. I hope I’m not spreading them around.

We will see. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,425
    Just repeat as necessary @Edlonton ... you're removing them from the tender parts of the plants where they can do damage, but they're still available to the birds and insects that feed on them, so next year there'll be even more garden helpers for you  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh