Forum home Problem solving

Cause of death?

Two of my skimmia were looking very yellow and when I touched them they felt very loose in the ground. I decided to take them out and the practically fell out of the ground. I think they get too much sun in that spot, but I hope that's all it is. I hope it's not those root eating nasties I hear about!

• B3B3 Posts: 21,435
    Have a dig around and see if you can find any vine weevil grubs. They look like maggots with orange/ brown heads.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,114
    @dangermousie Those roots have been eaten for sure. It is possible that it was a while ago and the skimmia is only now showing there is a problem. Vine weevil eggs are the colour of soil  sorry to say!
  • dangermousiedangermousie Posts: 117
    Oh no! Yep, I definitely have vine weevil in the garden, it was very visible last year on foliage of other plants. I hope they don't like mahonia or cotoneaster roots as they are neighbours
  • Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 141
    How long have they been in the ground. Were  they ever established and growing well. They could have been dead or during from the beginning.
  • dangermousiedangermousie Posts: 117
    They were a bit yellow for most of the last 12 months since we moved in. They've been in the ground for.6-7 years. They just finished flowering. 
    The nematodes are in the mail!