Forum home Plants

ID please

peteSpeteS Posts: 884
Could someone please ID this. I think it might be a herb of some description, but I can't find any photos of it. Many thanks.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 9,983
    If you think it may be a herb, does it have a distinct smell?

I have salvia Mainacht that look similar.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 8,216
    It looks verbascum-ish to me, V. chiaxii looks a bit like that if I leave some of the previous year's old stems.
    If you're sure it's a herb, maybe horseradish?
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,976
    Not horseradish but think the same as @JennyJ the leaves look verbascum like.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,788
    Definitely not horseradish ... I know that one very well. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 26,992
    A Salvia?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 9,983

Salvia Mainacht

Verbascum - somethingortheother

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 3,629
    I grow S forsskaolii a possible. It does seed about but I can keep it under control. The salvia family is huge, not sure you will get an answer until it flowers.  
    RETIRED GARDENER, SOUTH NOTTS, SOIL CLAY

A garden is an oasis for creation, available to anyone with a little space and the compunction to get their hands dirty.

Dan Pearson
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 601
    Definitely a Salvia but too early to tell which one.
    East Anglia
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 884
    Many thanks for your replies, sorry mine is a bit late, but I'm obviously way off the mark with herb. I very vaguely remember ordering a salvia from somewhere, alas no idea where, so I think I will settle for the salvia suggestion and wait with bated breath as to the outcome. But whatever it is, it's growing well.
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 212
    @peteS depends on how you define herb! Personally I would include Salvias in 'herbs'... Clary Sage or Wild Sage is in the same genus. But that's just me. Hope your plant stays happy and healthy whatever it turns out to be!