Forum home Problem solving

automatic watering timer

BluesBlues New ForestPosts: 38
I hope to be on holiday for a month and I need a timer that will program daily over that period.  Just wondered if anyone has one of these timers because I'm not sure if it will do the job. Your thoughts always appreciated 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 6,456
    What are your concerns about its ability to do the job?  Frequency and duration look good, but is there anyway to set the current time on it?
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,737
    I have a Hoselock one that several times throughout 24 hours the frequency and duration can be set. If I was going to be away for a month I'd replace the battery before going, just in case. I can't see anything that could be wrong with the one you show Blues.
  • BluesBlues New ForestPosts: 38
    KT53 said:
    What are your concerns about its ability to do the job?  Frequency and duration look good, but is there anyway to set the current time on it?
    I haven't bought it yet, and setting the time of day is a good point but not so important as setting the frequency on a continuous cycle. I imagine the "Reset" position acts as an on/off switch but I have an early flight and I'll be leaving home at 02-00 so how do I set the frequency for 07-00 to 07-30 and again at 20-00 to 20-30. Without a proper time clock I don't see how this is possible.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,151
    edited 15 April
    My cheap one you can't set the time of day. You set the interval and it comes on the first time after that interval. So if I want it to come on at 7am and 7pm, I set it at one of those times (or close enough) with 12 hours as the interval. It would be more convenient to set the time of day but when I wanted to buy one, the only ones I could find with that feature were the same brand as the old one that had failed.
    I recommend you get it set up some days before you go away so that you can check that it's working as expected and giving enough water but not too much, and adjust the time if necessary. Half an hour is quite long. I have mine on about 10 minutes twice a day normally, and a bit longer if we have a very hot spell in the summer.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,456
    Blues said:
    KT53 said:
    I haven't bought it yet, and setting the time of day is a good point but not so important as setting the frequency on a continuous cycle. I imagine the "Reset" position acts as an on/off switch but I have an early flight and I'll be leaving home at 02-00 so how do I set the frequency for 07-00 to 07-30 and again at 20-00 to 20-30. Without a proper time clock I don't see how this is possible.

Most I've seen work on an interval between cycles, rather than being able to set it at defined times.  The nearest you would be able to do with the timers displayed on that device would be 12 hours apart which would only be 1 hour away from your preferred time.
    Do you have a link to it?
    Thanks for your reply Jenny, Yes, I can see setting it up before we leave on a 12 hour frequency would give me roughly what I need but I'm not sure if it will operate on a continuous cycle. I've asked the retailer this question but they will not commit themselves, their answer being, it will perform as per the advert which doesn't really help much. Anyway right now I'm wrestling with the automatic fish feeder which I dig out most years and never remember how the darn thing works, Not so much the timing is the problem as the quantity of food it dispenses, the fish are either on a starvation diet or they think its Christmas 
    I hope you're getting the same weather in Doncaster as we are down south.  Right now I'm heading back to my sun lounger with a G&T. thanks again, regards Dave

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,151
    edited 15 April
    It's not quite sunlounger weather here, but it's warm enough to be outside in a t-shirt with no jumper or jacket :smile: .
    This is my timer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004HKV1EI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Simple but does what I need it to.  Only one outlet, but I use a Y-shape splitter with it. It's gone up a quite a bit in price since I bought mine though.
    Once set it comes on every 12 hours (or whatever interval is chosen) for the set time until I change the settings or the batteries run out, or when I bring it in for the winter and remove the batteries.

• EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 420
    Here it’s just about warm enough to go out in a t shirt and sweater, and OH is just lighting the wood burning stove to tick over for the afternoon. It’s not actually raining though!
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,621
    JennyJ said:
     Only one outlet, but I use a Y-shape splitter with it. 

Up until now I've been using a run of the mill 230v time clock that operates a washing machine solenoid mounted on a platform with hoses connected IN & OUT. It works fine but of course it can't be used outside unless its in a waterproof housing. I overcame this by rigging it up in my garage so if it sprung a leak it wouldn't cause any damage. I only have a small garden about 40mt square but it really needs two supplies to cover the whole area, unfortunately my mains water pressure is not adequate so this is why I need a duel outlet so I can stagger the operating times.
    Oh, by the way I was getting a nice base tan on my lounger yesterday, I was just loosing myself after a couple of drinks and then out of the blue the grandchildren turned up. Talk about shattering.