Forum home Problem solving

Tulip leaves turning pink

Help ... my early tulips have bloomed and finished, but I have 3 pots of tulips from last year that seem very late in coming into flower - I can just see tiny buds at the base of the leaves. However, the leaves are turning pink.... I know that white tulips can turn pink if they get too cold, but I'm sure the leaves should stay green. It have looked up fire blight and this doesn't seem the cause. 
I also have tulips planted in the ground that have thrived for 7 years without any problem. 

TIA
No-one knows if you have done your house-work, but everyone knows is you haven't done your gardening 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,136
    @PatsyFagan Did you actually plant these tulips last year ? Or is this the first year you have had this problem. I have seen fire blight and I don't think it is that. Well done in keeping tulips for seven years do you know what they are called?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,568
    Some of my tulips leaves have turned pink (new varieties planted in pots last Autumn). I always thought it was to do with a drop in temperature just as they start to emerge, but l'm not sure. 
  • PatsyFaganPatsyFagan Posts: 51
    @PatsyFagan Did you actually plant these tulips last year ? Or is this the first year you have had this problem. I have seen fire blight and I don't think it is that. Well done in keeping tulips for seven years do you know what they are called?
    Yes ... Once they flowered last year, I left them in the pots under shelter, but noticed new shoots appearing this year, so thought I would let them grow and see what happens. 
    The tulips in the ground were planted by a friend while I was convalescing from a major operation .. they were reduced from Waitrose - tall purple ones that sometimes match my hair ;) 
    No-one knows if you have done your house-work, but everyone knows is you haven't done your gardening