Forum home Problem solving

New Lawn Gone Patchy

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before.

I had a new lawn laid in my garden in Autumn of 2021. I wasn't happy with the quality of the work carried out and, therefore, won't ask the garden company to come back and repair it. About a quarter of the new lawn is fairly lush but the remain three quarter is patchy with no signs of new growth. During the winter of 22, the rain left that part of the lawn like a quagmire. I would be grateful for any advice on how to repair it.

Many thanks

George

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,700
    Welcome to the forum @gcbryson
    A photograph might help to identify the problem but that aside I think you should contact the firm that did the work. Was it turf they put down or seed?
  • gcbrysongcbryson Posts: 4
    Hi Uff - it was turf and laid around September 21. Contacting the firm is not an option as I would never want them near my garden again. Photo to follow.
    Here is a picture - roughly 3/4 of lawn looks like this.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,076
    edited 14 April
    Was there a drainage problem before the new turf was laid? If there was, it should have been dealt with as part of the preparation. You could try spiking it deeply all over with a garden fork, then rake to roughen up the bare soil and overseed with fresh seed, but grass doesn't like poor drainage and spiking might not be enough to resolve it.
    Another possibility is if the poor part is in heavy shade - grass doesn't like that either. You can get seed that's meant to be for shadier conditions but it's grass types that aren't as hardwearing as the usual dwarf ryegrass lawn turf.
    Your pic looks like my neighbour's old grass where their children play football all year round so that it's worn out and heavily compacted. Not good for a new lawn that hasn't been used yet.

Hi Jenny

The old lawn was beyond repair with the area shown in my picture was like a quagmire. I assumed the gardening company carried out all the pre-laying tasks including dealing with the drainage. They sent one of their men round at the end of November to check on it and spread something that was supposed to protect it over the winter. Unfortunately, I didn't ask for details as I was so fed up with the whole thing.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,700
    I agree with JennyJ and the advice that she gives. You have nothing to lose, it can only help the situation.