Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea leaf curl & horse manure

2pp6vq9jsmNPslqfJu2pp6vq9jsmNPslqfJu Dalwood, DevonPosts: 5
Total newbie to gardening so please forgive me!
I have some 2 year old hydranges, 1x in a pot and 2x in the earth. I also have a large 10yr old hydrangea.
I used horse manure (well rotted - no scent etc) to top dress the hydrangea in early March. The hydrangeas were starting to show new growth at the time. However, the leaves have now started curling inward and brown/crispy edges.. not sure if this is a result of the manure (too much?) or the recent frosts. Interestingly I didn’t use manure on the v large hydrangea (mostly out of laziness) and yet that’s got leaf curling too.
we have a very large garden and none of the hydrangeas are near each other so I’m sure it’s not any fungus. 
Can anyone suggest a possible reason for this & will they be ok or is there anything I need to do?
TIA! X

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,320
    I think the damage is most likely to have been caused by the recent sharp frosts affecting tender new leaves. We’ve had several reports of similar frost damage on hydrangeas in the last week or so. 
    I think they’ll be fine 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,092
    I agree. Well rotted manure is no problem. It's just weather damage  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,201
    Mine are looking pretty sad, too. We have had mild weather followed by sudden frosts and cold wind. They should recover without special treatment.
  • 2pp6vq9jsmNPslqfJu2pp6vq9jsmNPslqfJu Dalwood, DevonPosts: 5
    edited 14 April
    Thank you all so much, long live the hydrangeas!