Forum home Problem solving

New lawn

Good afternoon I’ve just finished my patio and have laid new turf from my existing lawn to the new patio as you can see, I didn’t factor in that I’m away for a few days! 🙈 it was laid Sunday and I’ve been watering twice daily since then will this survive a few days with no water? Tia.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,231
    I wouldn't worry too much if you're only away a few days.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,452
    Give it a thorough soak before you go. Looks very smart with the staggered edge to the patio.
  • MrMowMrMow Posts: 68
    Evaperation rates at this time of year will be low, water before you go away.

remember to wean the new lawn of water, also if you are watering daily you will need to think about some nutrition shortly , a simple grow more will cover the basis for new grass.
    I never knew retirement would be so busy. :smile:

forgot to say love the new patio.

• leeali86leeali86 Posts: 61
    Fairygirl said:
    I wouldn't worry too much if you're only away a few days.  :)
    Thanks 😊 was a bit worried lol! 
    Loxley said:
    Give it a thorough soak before you go. Looks very smart with the staggered edge to the patio.
    Yes I was thinking this! Thanks 😊 
    MrMow said:
    Evaperation rates at this time of year will be low, water before you go away.

remember to wean the new lawn of water, also if you are watering daily you will need to think about some nutrition shortly , a simple grow more will cover the basis for new grass.
    Thank you some great advice! 
    The nutrition was going to be my next question thank you 🙏🏼 👍
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,231
    If it's only just laid, I wouldn't be feeding yet.
    It depends how bothered you are about it though. It can become a real chore if you spend a lot of time worrying about it all.
    I only feed once or twice at most through the growing season. As long as the grass is fairly green that's fine for me.  If you're intent on having a perfect bowling green that might be different. I'd rather spend my time on plants    ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

@ Fairy 

And if you take a look at the rest of the lawn you will see it is starving, its bright yellow.

And if new turf was laid on this it will be struggling as soon as it takes root. 

So Grow more is 7% Nitrogen and at 20 grams a meter will only apply 14kg of Nitrogen per Hectare hardly rocket fuel.

It is not urea based feed at 34 to 46% N.

The OP 

As for the new turf give it a week or two and just give it a little feed, the rest of the lawn looks like it needs food,  so add some , always apply on the light side you can always add more, but you can not take it off, hence some of the posts on here with burnt turf.

Slowly does it little and often. We called it spoon feeding in the Turf Trade. :)

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,404
    @MrMow since you're in the turf trade can I ask where you would buy turf from in the PE26 postcode area?  Would appreciate a nod. Planning a new small grassed area at the front.