Forum home Plants

Buddleia suggestions/queries

thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 417
Hi, I'm wanting a new buddleia/buddleja (still don't know which is correct) to replace a fargesia rufa which is a bit boring. Does anyone have any suggestions for their favourite ones? I'm not looking for a dwarf type as I'm happy prunning them.

I've been thinking sungold is perhaps the best bet as it will light up the space when it flowers (I'd like a nice bright flower as I already have dark knight) but happy to consider others before taking a leap. I have a orange globosa at the other end of the garden and do have propagated plants that I could mirror but think something new might work better.

Does anyone have lochinch? I've never seen it but heard it's nicer than our local native ones but is it that much nicer? 
and finally has anyone tried 'wisteria lane'? It looks nice but not sure if it's really much different to other non weeping cultivars.

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,274
    Lochinch is pretty much like the species one IMO. Too pale for me, but I don't like pale, pastel colours anyway. If you like lavender colours, it might suit you  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,617
    I have a white one which was given to me by a neighbour some years ago. It's particularly good around dusk as it lights up the corner and it flowers like crazy, so it might be something suitable. I'm not 100% certain which one it is, but this looks very similar. 
    https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/buddleja-davidii-white-profusion-3L-pot.html?utm_term=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9aJ5ZWP9wIVC-ztCh2qsQQ2EAQYAyABEgI06fD_BwE
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,864
    I think there is some dispute whether Lochinch is B. davidii or B. fallowiana.  It has softer grey downy leaves than B. davidii, and I believe it to be more tender. I lost mine in a hard winter, whereas B. davidii are much stronger.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I’ve got a vigorous White Profusion growing in my garden and it’s beautiful to look at with its stand-out huge blooms and as a bonus, the butterflies and bees have voted it to be their favourite over all the other varieties I have.  It is covered with them in the summer. I can thoroughly recommend it. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    I've got Lochinch in my front garden and find that it keeps most of it's lovely downy grey/blue leaves over winter which is a plus in my view. The blooms are what I would call lilac with an orange eye. I like it, it's quite vigorous so I chop it back as and when.
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 417
    Thanks, I'm kind of lucky in that my brother and I live on the same road and he has no interest in gardening (but wants it to look nice, just doesn't want to do it himself) so I look after both gardens. It means I have a more woodland type garden at home and he has at bright, sunny garden. I have a few large davidii buddleia including the white one mentioned and it is lovely but I think will get lost in this brighter spot. 
    I was thinking lochinch might work as I'd heard it has more contrasting foliage but if it's not much different from the native ones, I think I'll discount it. I think sungold is still my favourite. I grow it already but not in the best spot, so would be nice to give it a go in ideal conditions.

If there are anymore suggestions I'm very interested. I know a lot of new cultivars have been released over the last few years that I don't know much about.  
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,685
    Black Knight - deep purple and a sturdy grower.
  • I have sungold. Its lovely, flowers a bit later than other buddleias, but not as late as globosa. The bees love it too. 
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 736
    We have Black Knight which is lovely. I’ve let it grow to it’s full height but with a lifted canopy so it’s effectively a small tree. We’ve done the same with two in the back garden, one a cutting from BK and one unknown seedling. Help give us some privacy and all three have kept their leaves this winter
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero