Forum home Problem solving

Magnolia

Hi, I’ve moved into a house and come across a Magnolia tree. It’s only flowered 1/2 flowers. 

There is a large tree behind it, I’m not sure what it’s called. 

This tree looks like parts are dying. 

Any advice would be great. 

Unfortunately I don’t know much about gardening. 

Thank you. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,131
    I'm not sure but think it's a broom (they aren't especially long-lived and tend to get woody at the bottom). If it's broom it should be flowering soon, which will make it easier to confirm or rule out.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,344
    Yes - a broom, Cytisus. Unfortunately, one which hasn't been terribly well maintained.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Probably not maintained at all. They don't do well if cut back to the brown wood (at least they don't for me, and I have the kind of conditions that they're supposed to like, dry and sandy). You can only really trim the green parts, after flowering.
    Yes - probably better removed. It'll never be a thing of beauty, and it would allow the Magnolia to thrive and be a nice focal point   :)
    I've lost my white one, because it got uprooted last spring in a rough period of weather. I pruned it back and it was ok for a while, but that was short lived. They get quite top heavy, and the wrench from the ground  was a bridge too far for it. Haven't replaced it yet. 

I had actually typed "it'll never be a thing of beauty" but I deleted it before posting in case @Traciefarley likes it better than the magnolia :D. I don't think I've ever managed to keep one for more than maybe 7 or 8 years before it gets top-heavy and ugly, even in theoretically ideal conditions for them.
    @JennyJ :D
    I've kept them longer, but unfortunately, the uprooting was the problem with this one, which was a great pity. One of my favourite sights in May, when it accompanied the clematis that grew next to, and through it.  I only grow the white ones. 

I think if @Traciefarley likes a broom, a new one in a better site might be the best move  :)