Forum home Problem solving

Concern or not? Rambling Rose /Penstemon

yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 80
Hello.
Have noticed what I’m hoping isn’t a bad problem with a rambling rose (first full year after planting as bare root) and doing well growth wise and a penstemon, which was a cutting from last year. Pictures of both attached which hopefully show enough to give a symptom/diagnosis. Thanks for any advice on treatments etc. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,897
    The scraggy growth looks  to me like old foliage from last year. The new growth looks fine. I would just pick off the old leaves and keep an eye.
  • yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 80
    Fire said:
    The scraggy growth looks  to me like old foliage from last year. The new growth looks fine. I would just pick off the old leaves and keep an eye.
    Thanks. On the rose, the penstemon, or both? 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,897
    I would say both - not a worry. But rose and penstemon experts might have a different view. What is the penstemon planted in? Do they need potting on?
  • yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 80
    Fire said:
    I would say both - not a worry. But rose and penstemon experts might have a different view. What is the penstemon planted in? Do they need potting on?
    It’s just in the ground, part of a new border area where other stuff appears to be doing ok. Just concerned it might be diseased and spread elsewhere.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,216
    I think as Fire says, the tatty leaves are just last year's old ones and best removed.

You should see new growth/leaves appearing in the base of the penstemon which means you can safely cut the old growth off once the risk of frost is over in your area - early May perhaps?