Forum home Problem solving

Sweet pepper seeds not germinating

I have now made 3 attempts at germinating sweet pepper seeds without success. Did as normal, seeds in heated propagator.Tried new, saved and fresh from pepper. Not a sign. Some were sown 3 weeks ago. Usually not a problem.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,482
    I've done the same in my propagator and had good results.
    Peppers and chilli both germinated well with the thermostat set to 25C
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,724
    I used to sow Apache every year,all my seeds, started off in North facing window sill,no sun,but light levels not bad, because we're all bungalows, unoverlooked, January, this year unable to get motivated, February. Every year, I've tried to grow sweet peppers. Last year, Californian wonder,I got 3 plants. They went in a lean to green house in June. I had a really good crop,kept some seed. Sowed them in February,I have 15 plants. No idea why. I do find they take a long time to germinate.
  • Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 217
    I was about to ditch the Marconi seeds after, I thought, a no show, but far later than expected, I have 2. I think, because of the colder spring, they're taking a long time. (Mine are in heated trays in an unheated greenhouse).
    I have pricked out some sweet peppers today and finally have 9 chillies potted  into their first pots.
    Seed sown from a fresh pointy pepper germinated really fast.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,664
    Just to be awkward, I never seem to have a problem with either Pepper or Chilli - usually germinate within 3 or 4 days in a propagator.
    Different story with the Maskotka tomatoes tho - 1 seed germinated out of 13  :/
    I don't use a propagator. I do have one, but there is no plug anywhere near a space for it. I found it dried out too quickly. Haha, Philippa, now I am pretty sure I can even grow tomatoes without seeds!!! I kept and dried my own seeds,last year, never done it before. 
  • GrajeanGrajean Posts: 350
    Thank you everyone, I will keep trying!
    @Nanny Beach  if you have time on your hands and don't get too easily T'd off . give Maskotka a try.  Every other tom other than that one germinates happily for me.
    Plenty on the forum seem to have no difficulty with this one so I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Maybe they just don't fancy Somerset :D
    edited 11 April
    Phillipa,I got the free packet of them,and NOT ONE germinated and that's a first for me! No time on my hands at the moment,(will tell all later) and I get p****d off haha!
    Must be just us Nanny  :D:D
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,855
    Must be a compost problem if experienced growers are having problems. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.