Forum home Problem solving

Chaenomeles

My neighbour has a beautiful Chaenomeles with black bark and red blossom at this time of year. The leaves seem to come out after the blossom. I’ve bought the same kind, and planted it on the same aspect. Mine produces lots of leaves at this time of year but no flowers - the opposite of my neighbour! Is it simply a question of maturity? If so, how long do I need to wait to get the same beautiful blossom? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,158
    @rachaelsisley It may have the same aspect but is it getting the same amount of light? There is one growing in a garden near me that is covered in flowers and gets baked all summer.
  • Hers is on the north wall of her house and so is mine …
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 593
    The only other thing I can think of is pruning - you don't mention it, but it flowers on old wood, so shouldn't be pruned after June to allow flower buds to form.

The standard advice is for lots of sun, but if your neighbour's isn't getting any sun either and still flowers, then I guess it can't be that...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,213
    Most of them are very good shrubs for shady spots, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    Have you got a photo @rachaelsisley? How is it being grown, and was the site well prepped first?
    The ground near walls can be very dry, even  in a north facing site, because of the foundations of the walls, and they do like a reasonable amount of moisture and some decent soil.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,158
    @rachaelsisley The plant I refer to is growing in a very light silty soil, it is next to a path. It made me stop and look as I have never seen a Chaenomeles flower so well. It is on a south facing wall. I have tried them in full sun and a little shade but flowering was poor. I think my soil is too wet and that was the problem. I think most people would say they are easy to grow but I have found they do vary a lot with how well they flower.
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 586
    I have got a couple of them in the garden here and the flowering is improving as they mature and become bigger more settled shrubs but they still have not caught up with the neighbours one after two or three years now. It could just be your one needs more time to settle in but without more details its not really possible to say if you are doing something wrong.

Happy gardening!
  • Cambridgerose12Cambridgerose12 Posts: 1,031
    They do take a long time to develop enough mature wood for a good show of flowers. My first one was put in about six or seven years ago and this year is still only perhaps a metre high but with a fair show of flowers. The younger growth has the behaviour you describe—lots of leaves and very few flowers concealed by the leaves—so my thought is that you just have to wait…most people with truly fabulous Chaenomeles are benefiting from their Victorian or 1930s predecessors’ gardening labours! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,213
    I agree. Most shrubs are the same, depending on the maturity when planted too. They won't have loads of flowers in the early years. Growing conditions have an effect too. 
    I wouldn't necessarily be worried, but it would help to see the site.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Here you go. Here’s a picture. 
  • Agggh. Can’t add picture for some reason. Any tips? On iPhone.