Forum home Plants

Aquatic full shade?

dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 221
Hi all, my new preformed pond is looking barren. Can you suggest a few aquatic plants that might be happy in full but light shade? The photo is taken facing south, so the wall is going to block all light. Some might get through in late afternoon, but I wouldn't be able to count on it :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    The water Hawthorn is perfectly good in shade. It seeds around nicely too. Can't recall it's proper name, but you'll get it on one of the pond sites - Puddleplants, Waterside, Devon Pond Plants  or similar. 
    I also had Equisetum in my small pond, which was quite shady. It's fine too. A good vertical for contrast. Not a nuisance like the usual horsetail  ;)
    Cotton grass will also be fine. Again - I can't recall the proper name, but it's easy enough to find under that. It grows in boggy soil as well as directly in water.
    Caltha [marsh marigold] will do a similar job, but is best for the margins/boggy soil, rather than in the water itself  :)
    The curled rush [Juncus e. spiralis] is also fine in shade. 

If you have a look on those sites, you'll get other suggestions for suitable plants for a shady spot.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 221
    Brilliant! Thanks for the detailed response as always @Fairygirl
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,433
    I'd second the Water Hawthorn - flowers for a long period 
    There are some mini water lillies too  ( sorry can't remember the actual variety ) which may like that aspect.
    Cyperus would give you some height but can be a bit too happy in such a small pond so the Equisetum as per @Fairygirl would be the best bet.
    Thanks Philippa! 
    Fairygirl said:
    I also had Equisetum in my small pond, which was quite shady. It's fine too. A good vertical for contrast. Not a nuisance like the usual horsetail  ;)
    Hi Fairygirl, it seems that Equisetum and Horsetail are synonymous. I see Barred Horsetail Equisetum Japonica in the garden center. I assume it can't be too bad if they're selling it, what do you think?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    The ones for ponds are different, and aren't the thugs like the ones we get in soil  :)
    I've had mine for years. E. hyemale or E. japonica are the same plant - one is the old name. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    Fairygirl said:
    Hi Fairygirl, it seems that Equisetum and Horsetail are synonymous. I see Barred Horsetail Equisetum Japonica in the garden center. I assume it can't be too bad if they're selling it, what do you think?
    Horsetail is a species of the Equisetum genus. Other species are available
    Great! Looking forward to seeing what it does :)