Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lichen on my seed compost

2»

• hikiwarihikiwari Posts: 14
    All sorts for the garden and allotment But toms are always a dilemma :smile: 
    I often plant more than I need because you can’t keep seeds for the following year right?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Tomato seeds keep for years and years. I do three to a small pot usually, and if some don't germinate, that makes it easier when it comes to separating them   :)

You may just need to try and sow more thinly, which will save you the dilemma. It can be tricky, but if you mix the seed with a little bit of sand, that can make it easier.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,739
    Sowing thinly can be a bit hit and miss - especially with really tiny seeds.  Sand as @Fairygirl says can help in this respect but Sod's Law often dictates and you will get some that germinate and others which won't.  
    If you can't offload excess seedlings on your friends/neighbours, you have to be brutal.  Bit like stamping on little slugs - you just say "Sorry" as you discard the weaker seedlings.
    Best Before on seeds is as erratic as Best Before on some foodstuffs.  Many seeds, including Tomatos, will be viable after several years if stored correctly.
  • hikiwarihikiwari Posts: 14
    :D 
    Just say Sorry. 
    There’s the answer to all my seed growing anxiety 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    And remember … even if the final destination of some seedlings is the compost heap, they add to the great cycle of life, and help more plants grow in the future. They’re not being wasted, just used in a different way 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.