Forum home Problem solving

Preparing garden for turf

We're new to gardening/DIY. Purchased this property a year ago and wanting to have a turfed rear garden for our toddler. 

When we purchased the property the garden had a large tree, 2x 1000l water storage tanks (no idea why) so much gravel and a patio. We've cleared all this and are now wanting to prep the garden for turf.

The issue is there is still an awful lot of clay in areas, in patches it has mixed with sand which I think was done by the previous owner, there's also alot of gravel, we were hoping to clear this but it's a never ending task.

So, does anyone have any tips? We really want a turfed garden for our 2 year old to be able to run about and I can then build on it over the years with flowers etc. But I feel it's going to take forever to prepare the garden. Help?!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,655
    hi, and welcome to the Forum. 
    There are lots of videos on You Tube showing preparation for turfing. 
    You might find one which is similar to your situation.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,137
    edited 9 April
    There's a good written description here https://www.turfonline.co.uk/blog/prepare-soil-turfing/ (of course they want you to buy stuff from them, but you don't have to, shop around when you're ready). And here's a video with Alan Titchmarsh (again sponsored, but ignore the advertising!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Tv-ML36r0
    Don't skimp on the firming step even if you feel a bit silly doing it - it's important if you want the lawn to stay nice and level and not develop bumps and hollows due to settling soil.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,655
    JennyJ said:

Don't skimp on the firming step even if you feel a bit silly doing it - it's important if you want the lawn to stay nice and level and not develop bumps and hollows due to settling soil.
    I concur.
    In the words of Roy Cropper , " if you fail to prepare, you should prepare to fail "
    Devon.