Forum home Problem solving

Sweet Pea Problem

Hi I have some sweet pea plants which I sowed in October. They are good strong plants.
They are in my green house which I heat as and when a temp below 5c is warned overnight.
But about 50% of the plants are now developing yellowing to very pale yellow leaves. They dry and come off. I have kept them watered and a couple of weeks ago I gave them a half strength liquid feed. They have been previously nipped out.
Has anyone experienced this or has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do..

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,963
    They can be put outside. I wouldn't feed yet. They might need more light. They are hardy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,164
    They don't need heat @Market Boy . They're hardy annuals. They only need protection from rough weather at the early stage - wet, windy, severe frost/ice. 

Pot them on into new compost, and nip them out. Don't feed them. They'll hopefully come away again, but if not, it's still plenty of time to sow more   :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• mine are outside and planted!! much happier.they were wilting a bit in pots outside.monty planted his last week
  • Planted out the ones my dog didn't nobble 2-3 weeks ago, when I was planting some roses. They're fine!

Definitely going to put some more in this weekend now I know there's still time.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 542
    I planted some outside in toilet roll middles in October the year before the Beast from the East. We went away and missed the snow etc completely and the sweet peas were none the worse for the experience. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    edited 8 April
    Yes,as others say,you are Molly coddling them.i grew mine in October,they are outside. You can plant them in march.Dont feed anything till it gets flowers. What sort of pots are they in? I don't expect mine to get yellow leaves or the compost to run out of steam,they have a long root run,need their own space. Don't let the dog near the seeds,they are poisonous!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,164
    I certainly can't plant them out just now, but it comes down to conditions. They just sit until it's warm enough for growth, and they're quite vulnerable to pests and rough weather when they're small, which we regularly get in April. I don't bother sowing in autumn as it's fairly pointless here too. Much easier to do them in March.  :)
    If you want strong plants, they should be sown in fairly cool conditions as they should take between two and four weeks to germinate. Any quicker and they're too warm, which can mean they're weaker.
    They need plenty of light if you're sowing earlier than March and that's another problem in many areas  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Market BoyMarket Boy Posts: 76
    Thanks for this info. I actually recycle old coffee tins, the tall ones and grow them in there. I will put the poorly ones outside. The ones I sowed in Feb are coming along fine
    so will plant them out after Easter.
    Good advice chaps
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    Haha, Market Boy,(and chapesses) I confess I didn't ask where you live,sorry Fairy!
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,351
    I have stopped sowing my cosmos until May because they grow so quickly. The seedlings come through within a few days of being sown and then get leggy before the weather is mild enough to plant them outside.