Forum home Fruit & veg

Help! Potato mix up

tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61
I lost the labels for my pots, they are Desiree and nadine. The top lot are slightly darker, would you think those are the Desiree? Thanks 🙏

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,155
    Desiree are red skinned and nadine are white, so yes, I think the top ones are desiree. Try wetting one and see what colour the skin is under the dirt.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61
    Ok thanks, I tried that - see wet ones on left side but they both just look kinda brown. Maybe the seeds aren't red?
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    I think the bottom one is desiree, but just cut one you'll see what colour the skin is that way. Take one of the big ones cut it in 2 make sure there's an eye on both halves and you can still plant it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,268
    edited 7 April
    I agree with @Skandi ... The wet one in the top tray doesn't look like Desirée to me.
    Seed potatoes are just potatoes grown in virus-free conditions.  They'll look the same as any other of the same variety. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,155
    I missed the wet ones. I think Skandi is right.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61
    Hmm. They both look same to me, no red? Maybe there was a mix up with my order, one of the pots arrived in a open bag like they had spilt it between orders, maybe they got mixed up there. It's mainly to know how many to put in these buckets. I was going to do 2 Desiree - indeterminate, or 4 Nadine - determinate. Just compost no fertilizer probably. I want big pots so maybe just 2 in a bucket, alternating types ? 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,625
    Neither of the cut ones look like Desiree to me :(.
    By the way, you can still plant the cut pieces as long as they have eyes/sprouts.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,039
    And you will need some fertiliser or added well-rotted manure or garden compost.   Planting compost on its own hasn't enough oomph and what it does have only lasts 90 days max so they'll need extra feed to grow a good crop.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 258
    I'd send photos to the suppliers and ask them to identify them