Forum home Problem solving

Clematis Apple Blossom - Leaves turning brown and thinning

Hi, I bought an Apple Blossom clematis last Autumn and planted it up, it sprang into life early this year and quickly shot up past 7 feet, had a few flowers on it, not many but just put that down to it being the first year but now the top section of the plants the leaves are browning and noticeably thinning when you touch them, the bottom section is currently ok.

i have added a couple of photos from the top section where you can see the browning and then a photo of the bottom which still looks ok.

I initially put it down to the late snow we had and a couple of cold nights but it was nothing extreme and that unusual for something to survive if it’s an early grower.

Any thoughts as to what it could be and can I salvage it?

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,376
    It will be down to the cold on new growth. Clematis armandii starts early and the frost often gets it. My main issue with it is when it gets to the top of a huge conifer then dies back a few stems and looks naff for weeks, it's a huge plant, I hope you have plenty of space
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    It needs to be undone from those canes too. The  support is fine, to get it onto the trellis, but those plastic ties strangle plants. They're only there for the purpose of selling, and transporting :) 

Some soft string is far better, and you can then also spread any stems horizontally.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,685
    I've never had frost damage on mine but it was grown over a pergola in a sheltered site, facing south and backed by a brick wall.  Location does make a big difference.
    As said, they are vigorous growers once they settle in and get going so in your case, it's just a matter of time.  They are well worth growing tho :)